Every year, around 250 new pupils join Wellington at a number of different stages.
- c.190 enter Third Form (Year 9) at 13+
- A small number enter Fourth Form (Year 10) at 14+
- c.40 enter the Sixth Form (Year 12) at 16+
Due to the difficulties of moving school in the middle of GCSE, A Level, or IB Diploma courses, it is very rare for boys or girls to join Wellington at any other stage.
60% of our new pupils are boys and 40% are girls. 80% join as boarders and 20% travel to the College each day as day-pupils. It is our very strong recommendation, if parents do not know whether they would like their child to be a boarder or day pupil at Wellington, to register them for a boarding place as it can be extremely difficult to transfer pupils from day to boarding status once they have joined the College.
Most, but not all, of our 13+ joiners into the Third Form come from UK prep schools and over 100 feeder prep schools are represented in the current body of Wellingtonians. We also welcome, on average, 20-30 pupils into the Third Form from other educational backgrounds such as grammar schools, 11-18 day schools, state schools and international schools. We are keen to retain this diversity of intake and there is no right or wrong ‘route’ for preparing a child for joining Wellington.
Our Sixth Form intake is highly diverse with around half of our new pupils joining from a variety of UK schools and the other half coming from international contexts all around the world.
From where do Wellingtonians join?
- 58% of current pupils joined from prep schools outside the M25
- 15% joined from prep schools inside the M25
- 16% joined from state, grammar and 11-18 schools
- 11% joined from international backgrounds
- 125 current Wellingtonians live overseas in over 30 different countries including Brazil, Canada, India, Italy, Hong Kong, Papua New Guinea, Singapore and USA
- Most UK-based pupils live in the South-East although current Wellingtonians also live as far afield as Cheshire, Cornwall, Gloucestershire, Somerset, Suffolk and Yorkshire