Phil Mann joined Wellington in September 2018 from Reigate Grammar School where he was Director of Sport. A graduate of Loughborough University, Phil began his teaching career at Wellington College in 2008, coaching cricket and teaching Physical Education as part of the teacher training programme. A keen sportsman, Phil spends his summers playing cricket for Weybridge Cricket Club in the Surrey Premier League and enjoys playing squash and exercising on a regular basis. Phil is married to Rebecca and has two young daughters, Sienna and Clementine and a springer spaniel, Summer. As a family they love travelling, eating good food and spending time with friends.
The Hill remains one of four traditional in-College boys boarding Houses and accommodates 58 boys over three floors. Situated at the front of the main school buildings with views over Swan Lake and Front Quad it is at the centre of the College. Games fields, classrooms and the Sports Hall are approximately all equidistant from the Hill.
The House is named after Viscount Hill, Commander of the Anglo Dutch 2nd Corps. Rowland Hill — Lord Hill (1772 — 1842) — was universally liked by the soldiers under his command and was known as “Daddy Hill” by the troops who valued and respected his kindness. It was claimed that he used profanity on only two occasions! The boys in the House are very proud of the Hill’s history and the ‘House spirit’ that is manifested in their support for each other.